Friday, November 19, 2010

Thanks

What are you thankful for? In a little under a week, I will be sitting at my grandparents’ table being asked that question. So in preparation, here are my answers:

I AM THANKFUL for the small children that I work with at a local preschool and their never-ending curiosity, big hugs, and their inability to remember my name (“Remember, it’s Jennie, it rhymes with penny”).

I AM THANKFUL for my university being extremely understanding and empathetic and supporting me to help me succeed, for all the professors who believe in me and give me amazing opportunities.

I AM THANKFUL for the people who thought up ostomy surgery (though I’m sure they were probably thought to be a little crazy at the time). It has not only saved my life, but given me a new change at living.

I AM THANKFUL for my family who would do anything for me. I have seen their incredible love at work and I am so lucky to have people like that protecting and looking out for me.

I AM THANKFUL for the amazing friends that laugh at my IBD jokes and also let me just be me.

I AM THANKFUL for the CCFC and the YAC for introducing me to the possibilities of change and the power of connection.

I AM THANKFUL for food - for crackers, and bananas, and cereal, and soy milk, and pretty much everything else. I am mostly thankful that I can eat it again.

I AM THANKFUL to be able to have the chance to make a difference and raise awareness about IBD. I hope that I can achieve more awareness for our cause. I am thankful to everyone who supports this cause.

I am thankful for so, so, so much. Life can be messy, and sad, and disappointing, and unfair - but it can also be very, very beautiful.

Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment