Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Lest We Forget!

As Remembrance Day approaches, one man comes to mind more then others. Three years ago, on October 4th, we lost a family member, a man who brought smiles to our faces as long as I can remember.
My Grandfather, Cliff, had been sick as long as I can remember, however, he was always energetic and out going. I remember pieces of my childhood with him, like picking carrots out of his garden, washing them under the house and eating them. I remember going to the mall with Nana and Cliff. Just, the little things.
However, one memory will always stand out to me. It was August 2006; I had just graduated High School in June and was starting College in September. I had already lost lots of weight, which we assumed was because I Had started eating better. My mom and I went to the senior’s home to say Goodbye to Cliff before we left to come home for the year.
I can still picture this moment. Cliff was sitting in the foyer amongst others; mom and I sat down with him and had a visit. He continued to ask mom if I had everything I needed, he asked if Nana gave me anything and finally, he told my mom to look after and take care of me. Needless to say mom and I left in tears as usual. I didn’t quite understand the depth of his questions and comments until a year later.
In January 2007, I was diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease. I was very sick until the end of July 2007. My mom and I came home the first week of August after 3 long months. I was still walking with a cane, which was Cliff’s cane, and didn’t have much energy.
That October, at the age of 92, Cliff passed away. I finally thought about the last time I saw him and realized the depth of our visit.
He knew I was sick, he knew I would need help, and he knew I would need my mom. I still think to this day that he waited until I was healthy to pass away. This might sound selfish but I thank him for this. I don’t know if my mom would have left my side to go to his memorial and if she didn’t I would never have forgiven myself. Also, I don’t know how I would have handled not having her by my side. Thank you Cliff!
Not a day goes by that I don’t think of him in some way. I feel lucky to have known him for the short 19 years that I did, and I’m glad to have had him in my life!

“I have Crohn’s Disease; Crohn’s Disease does not have me”
~Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment