Friday, November 11, 2011

Dandy


I wanted to share an interesting theory that I was taught this week in my psychology class. 

The questions begs to be asked, are you a dandelion or an orchid?

This is an odd question - but very meaningful, I promise. The theory goes as follows: a dandelion will flourish anywhere, grow anywhere - be it the side of the road or in a well-tended garden. An orchid, on the other hand, will only thrive in the very best of circumstances; the right light, the right amount of water, the right touch. This is related to children - and people in general. Some of us, no matter what happens, will push forward, fight, and move on - thus, a dandelion. And some of us need more help - i.e. an orchid.

I think there’s a difference between who we want to be and who we are. But let me clarify: who we want to be could be anything, and we have the power and the dreaming-room to make it happen. Who we are is everything we are genetically and biologically, the things we cannot change about ourselves like our temperaments and diseases. There is no shame, and in fact should be pride, in honoring who we are to get to who we want to be

Where am I going with all of this? If you’ve classified yourself as an orchid, then ask for the help when you need it and make sure you get the right amount of sun, water, and love (and you dandelions out there need it too!). It can be a struggle with a chronic illness to know when to ask for help, because at least for me, it can seem like we’re waving the ‘help-me’ flag all the time. But think about it this way, you may be hesitant to ask for someone’s help, but you’d probably be the first to give it.

Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment